Saturday, December 19, 2009

Hawking speaks


"I think computer viruses should count as life.
I think it says something about human nature
that the only form of life we have created so far
is purely destructive.
We've created life in our own image."

Stephen Hawking




1. "Eternity is a very long time, especially towards the end."

2. "The whole history of science has been the gradual realization that events do not happen in an arbitrary manner, but that they reflect a certain underlying order, which may or may not be divinely inspired."

3. "Life would be tragic if it weren't funny."

4. "To show this diagram properly, I would really need a four dimensional screen. However, because of government cuts, we could manage to provide only a two dimensional screen."

5. "My expectations were reduced to zero when I was 21. Everything since then has been a bonus."

6. "Someone told me that each equation I included in the book would halve the sales. In the end, however, I did put in one equation, Einstein's famous equation, E = mc2. I hope that this will not scare off half of my potential readers."

7. "I find that American & Scandinavian accents work better with women." In response to a question about the American accent of his synthesiser.

8. "My goal is simple. It is a complete understanding of the universe, why it is as it is and why it exists at all."

9. "I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road."

10. "Einstein was wrong when he said "God does not play dice". Consideration of black holes suggests, not only that God does play dice, but that He sometimes confuses us by throwing them where they can't be seen."


(Source)



{images linked/programming by DPC}



"If we do discover a complete theory,
it should be in time understandable in broad principle by everyone.
Then we shall all, philosophers, scientists,
and just ordinary people be able to take part
in the discussion of why we and the universe exist."








Blog Archive

About Me

My photo




“Wisdom is the greatest cleanser”

Sri Yukteswar





Search This Blog

FAIR USE NOTICE:
This blog may contain copyrighted material.
Such material is made available for educational
purposes to advance understanding of all facets
of sentient existence...

This constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted
material as provided for in Title 17 U.S.C. section 107
of the US Copyright Law. This material is distributed
without profit.